BT et C

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Little Tune-up

Slowly getting over my upgradeophobia, thanks partly to Gentoo

Here's some of my new numbers:
KDE 3.4.1 (on gentoo) ... which by the way sings. KDE ebuilds are now (correctly) split up so that you can pop pieces of it in and out instead of needing the Whole Hog.
xorg-x11-* 6.8.2 (on both fedora and gentoo). I don't know all the advantages of upgrading xorg regularly, but i decided to do it even though it makes me nervous.
Kernel 2.6.12 (on fedora, but i'm not booting it 'cause %^#%^ing ndiswrapper would not fly)

I'm not upgrading GNOME on the fedora box. Too many horror stories, and all my work is sitting there. It was enough headache that one day that Zimbra took me out of commission

...i wonder if Otto would like Mandriva... ?

2 Comments:

  • ever thought about Suse? esp. OpenSuse?

    A friend of mine is having a great experience with Suse. Suse 10 notably includes Wifi support for a great many wireless cards (he has a pretty obscure old one in his old compaq lappy) including native WPA support.

    It also comes with kernel 6.2.13 and he says YAST is awesome.

    Myself, I think I'm going to try Debian and/or Suse next.

    By Blogger luke, at 7:57 PM  

  • Yeah, I think about every distro. Next one I'll prolly actually try is CentOS. And I have a Mandriva LE disc from a magazine. Oh and LFS.

    SuSE will have to get in line. Unless you tell me it runs Wine (or Xen?) out of the box.

    By Blogger Matt C, at 1:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home