BT et C

Sunday, March 25, 2007

Little Tinfoil, for funzies

Here is Gartner's graph of Vista's expected uptake:














Certainly looks bad for us free-software folks doesn't it? That's fine, though -- I'm used to things looking "bad" and don't particularly care that much whether free software takes over the world. I just want non-free software to leave me alone and stop making my life difficult.

But... there's something funny about that image and I'll give you a few second to guess it

Give up?

Here it is: there's no such thing as a "pernonaginta". It's called "percent" because it goes to 100. Here's Gartner's graph, side by side with my corrected version:









Now, you'll rightly point out that Microsoft still "dominates". Duh. But that's the thing with "marginalization"; it doesn't work through outright lies but by subtly changing our symbolic life. I'm not going to rant and rave about this, but I suspect this kind of itty-bitty distortion is all over the place.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home